A Way to Burum burum

It was a sunny day, hot of course, I was bored, tired and wanted something adventurous. Then I got a surprising invitation from my father, to join him visit his mother, my grandmother. I accepted, because I love it!
I always wanted to see my grandmother, she was kind, caring and all. She loved me so much. When she passed away, a part of me was gone, a part where I feel loved, protected, pampered and elevated. I missed her so much that I cried and cried, i still vist her grave when i visit the village.
It was around 12:00 noon when we headed to my father's "Kauye" (Kauye-a word meaning "Village" in Hausa Language), it is about 85 km to the south the city of Kano: a city in  Northern Nigeria. A village with abundant mountains or rocks (I cant seem to differentiate). There are two routes to my village (my father's village) as far my father's driving is concerned, we usually go for the one with the shorter distance, where we pass through Karfi, then off through Bunkure, Rano, Kibiya, Saya-Saya and then to Burum-Burum (my hometown). The other way is through Wudil, Garko or Sumaila and then through Dal, Kafi and finally Burum-Burum. There are other routes, but those are the ones I know.
That day, we decided to follow the longer route, because it was a rainy season, and the shorter route is always inaccessible on the rainy season. But then my father remembered the old memories of his adventure, there used to be a market he visits, it is in a village called  Dagora. Dagora is a village in the Sumaila local government of Kano State. It is one of those villages in the border between Kano and Bauchi, you could smell the scent of Bauchi soil from there.
Off to a market in the center of the small village of Dagora, it was a hard journey,  you have to go through a Dirt road, and it was a rainy Season, life was hard.
But the market was interesting, we toured through the market, buying what we could and leaving what we can't.
Dagora market Day, Sumaila Local Government Province, Kano State, Nigeria
The market wasn't that of a big market, it happens once every week, I couldn't remember the day precisely,  but I think its Sunday. many would wonder, what about church? No, the larger population there are predominantly Muslims.  Different people come together to sell their goods and services. Food stuffs, fresh and dries fruits, fresh vegetables, smoked meat, fura da nono brought by the fulani women, Farmers tools, ropes, fertilizers, traditional home accesories like sand pots, metal kettles, mats, traditional outfits etc. Others included performers, tricklers, any market preachers that end up getting money from your pocket. Aside, there is the hidden business markets, thieves, pickpockets, conmen etc.
Everyone has a reason for being in the market, thats one unique thing about a market, some for tourism purpose, like us, and of course to buy what fits us,  or serve our taste, some are there to sell, some are there to buy specific thing, there are those that keep the law and order, and there are those that go there in the hope to find labor,many reasons...
At aroud two o'clock,we had sucessfuly finished our business in the market, and headed to our villige (My father's village). We bought along with us smoked meat (Tsire) for ourselves and for my grandmother. Along the way, we talked and talked,  we chatted and chatted up the way to Burum Burum,
From dagora to my home village, it wasn't that of a long journey, I am not handy with distances,  but it sure is less that fourty minutes journey if you add the grudges of the Dirt Road we endured.
Burum burum is a village (once a city) in the southern part of Kano,it is now under Tudun wada Local government of Kano State. I village used to be a very popular village in the late 18th century. It is the place where Muhammadu Alwali, the last King of kano of the Kutumbawa ancestry was murdered by the Fulani Reformers. Muhammadu alwali fled from Kano then, and he sought refugee in Burum Burum where, as the history said is related to the rulers of the then City. Unfortunately, the Fulani reformers of Shehu Dan Fodio followed him there, and Killed. It is very disheartening that histories as important as these are buried, forgottent and never mentioned of.

Comments

  1. What is the connection between burum burum of Kano and the burmawa tribe or burum burum of kanam (dengi) in plateau state

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tsokaci da shawarwari ga masu matsalar shafar Aljanu a mahangar al'ada ko likitancin zamani

SCHIZOPHRENIA DA LARURAR GANE-GANE (WADANDA ALJANU SUKE BUDEWA IDO)